Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Our Weekend

I know it's actually the middle of the week, but we moved into our apartment and just got fast working internet today!  We tried to enjoy the weekend a little after running around like chickens with our heads cut off last week trying to find an apartment, setting up a meeting with a realtor, getting everything in line for Andrez separating from the Marines, and adjusting to a new city.  We started our weekend on Friday by hanging out on 23rd which is a popular street here with tons of restaurants and shops.  I had heard about a "gourmet" peanut butter and jelly and I really wanted to try it!  We got the Hot Hood, which was made with challah bread, black cherry jam, roasted jalapeno, apple wood smoked bacon, and peanut butter.  We also ordered their special called the Spencer and it had I think almond butter, sauteed onions, brie cheese, and some sort of jelly.  OMG, these sandwiches were out of this world and we ate them up so quickly!  We can't wait to go back and try the rest!  After, we went to an ice cream shop called Salt & Straw that we always see a huge line for, and once we ordered ours, we knew why!  We also can't wait to go back there and try everything they have!

On Saturday, we went to the Saturday Farmer's Market at PSU.  It was fun walking around and looking at all of the fresh produce, meats, honeys, flowers, fish, and food stands.  Once we get a little more settled, we will want to buy some of the meats and fish for BBQs because they looked good!  We bought some local honey for our allergies and some apples.  I have to admit though, the apples were very mushy and not as good as we hoped, so I don't know if we'll get those again or maybe try a different vendor.

The weather has continued to be beautiful and we can't wait to do some more sight seeing, so stay tuned for future weekend adventures!

This is a post that has had lots of fliers as you can see!


YUM!



All of the ice cream flavors at Salt & Straw.

This, my friends, is the sea salt with caramel ribbons and almond brittle with salted ganache--the sea salt with caramel was the winner in this round.


Lucy girl!


Farmer's Market at PSU.







Crazy colored carrots.


Seedlings for your own garden--which Andrez and I fully intend to have once we have a house.

We thought this pup was pretty funny in her bag.



We went to Deschutes for beer and dinner.  This was the sampler--it was good beer, just not our favorite.


2 comments:

  1. Lynds! I love that you are blogging your new adventures in Portland. You are such an amazing photographer and I am really excited to keep up with what you guys are doing. The Farmer's Market looks so beautiful and makes me anxious to get to CA where we will have access to the same. And that ice cream cone made me drool. Miss you but so happy that you and Andrez are already enjoying yourselves in the PNW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley!!! I love both of your blogs as well! I like being able to post pictures and talk about what I did and what I think. I'm hoping to stay up with it, especially through a house buying process, cooking, and one day, having a baby. You are more than welcome to visit me anytime and we'll be sure to get an ice cream cone or two ;

    ReplyDelete